12.01.2009

I Wonder Why It Smells Like Burning Plastic??

A few months ago, just when it was starting to get cold, we turned the fireplace on for the first time. After a several minutes had passed, there was a terrible smell, not really a gas smell, but a smell that was enough to make you think you probably shouldn't have it on. So I gave up on the idea of having a working fireplace and that was that.
Then, as I was completing the last few items on my "house to home" project (getting rid of all the bright ugly gold hardware on the main level) I solved the mysterious burning smell. To paint the fire place, I had to take the top part of it off, and you'll never guess what I found... The top to my orange juice carafe, which had been missing for several months. I vaguely remember Aidan playing with it, but never in a million years thought he would manage to shove it into the top of the fireplace (which also brings back to mind the time I found one of his *missing* shoes in a freezer compartment). So I'm just thrilled to be able to use the fireplace but also sad about my carafe top.

No comments:

Post a Comment